Let’s face it, most kid’s lives today are just as crazy as adults; over scheduled, academic and social pressures, too much technology, world news, and for some, add in poverty, violence and home-life dysfunction. Even very young children can exhibit signs of stress and disconnect.
Yoga can provide all children some tools to counter their daily stress and foster resilience, improve health and gain self-awareness.
Below is a sampling of what child development experts, scientific research, parents and teachers are reporting as the benefits of yoga for children:
- Increased strength and flexibility
- Improved concentration, focus and attention
- Boosted confidence and self-esteem
- Improved balance, coordination & general body awareness
- Improved body image
- Improved sleeping patterns
- Expanded creative expression and imagination
- Aided digestion
- Increased respect for self and others
- Improved attitudes – more patience, less reactive, more positive outlook
*Excerpted with permission from the ChildLight Yoga® Basic Training Manual,
by Lisa Flynn.